I have just finished reading Pat Conroy's new book "South of Broad". It is written in typical Conroy flowery fashion, I liked it. I was back in Charleston, I found myself reading it in the slow Charleston drawl. The storytelling is something only a southerner can do. Embellishing at the right moments, drawing you in soothing your soul. Adding a surprise or two. Of course at times it is over-worded but that is something Conroy does best. There are no perfect characters just people who came together at a time in their lives when they needed to make a family. For a few days I was a part of their family and I am still thinking about them. It has been awhile such a cast of characters has hung on to me. It once again made me realize that the people who walk into our lives are there for a purpose. We need to nurture our friendships. They cannot just sit on the shelves and dusted off every now and then. So take a moment today, grab a person from your shelf, make the call, shoot off an email, text something, anything. And if you happen to say it in a slow southern drawl all the better.
Peace Out
Bennett, Southern Gentlemen
No comments:
Post a Comment