Thursday, January 14, 2010

Scaling back

The holidays saw a new Cimi, setting a budget and sticking to it!! I love to buy for my people and love Christmas baubles. The friends I have gifted with in the past I suggested no gifts this year, just time. The gifts I did purchase were mainly on sale. I cheated and got a few gift cards (never again I like the hunt of the gift). I even re-gifted and was open about it. I mean why not share something you love with someone else? I loved the craft exchange (no, Chris we are not drawing names for next year just yet), the elfster exchange, our stocking gifts. These gifts allowed a more personal touch, I like that. We get so bogged down in checking off the list. I even scaled back on my ornaments this year (no pooh one for Erinn :( ) And yet it was one of the nicest Christmas's on record. Hmmm....enjoying family and friends without the gift frenzy. One of the blogs I read (Totally Smitten Mama) celebrates the Winter Solstice and they only gift gently used items that can bring fun to the entire family for many years to come. This year they gave their 4 children musical instruments. And happy faces were seen. Hmm....Other crunchy blogs I read only get and give handmade items. It gave me pause. So this year I am acting on this concept throughout the year. Hand made (when possible) and years use of objects. No more gifting of useless things. Memories.....

Peace Out

3 comments:

Carey said...

If there were a 'like' button for this, I'd check it!!! :)

Unknown said...

I so agree with Carey. I made most of my gifts this year - only ones I did purchase were done on trips. I had the best time making them and loved everyone's response to them.

Sheree said...

i also agree, my motto this year when wanting to purchase is to wait 48 hours and then ask myself do i or someone else "NEED" this, not want?