Friday, February 19, 2010

My friend, Tom

I have thought long and hard about this post, in fact this is my 4th attempt. My dear friend, Tom took his life on Tuesday evening February 9, 2010. He leaves behind his wife, a son, a daughter, Mom & Dad, 4 sisters, 8 nieces & nephews and numerous friends. We meet 22 years ago on Bristol Place. He was a good man and yet.... He made a difference in my life, Randy's life and all my girl's life. He mimicked Erinn perfectly saying runrunfastasyoucanyoucan'tcatchmeIamthegingerbreadman and laughing. He loved to tell Brenna "your turn for dishes" just for the reaction. He was a big brother to Carey. Up until we left NOLA the Stryons & Ryans spent time together and by that I mean just time. It did not have to be a formal occasion, special event, just time. We were able to be "ourselves' with one another, warts and all. I always knew Tom kept a small piece back, after all he grew up in a "no talk/feelings family". In coming to terms with the way his life ended, I believe that small part grew and grew. He was unable to exist any longer with it. We will never know or fully understand the "why". Sure the "reasons" are becoming clearer but not the why. My hope is on that Tuesday evening while he gazed at the stars and Mobile Bay he was at peace, true peace. I will miss him. I loved him. My good friend, Tom.

Peace Out

1 comment:

Carey said...

Great post Mom... it really captures the essence of it. I love you.